(The echo is to recognize the lack of blog posts in...months...)
I seriously hope to catch this space up on the past few months of our lives at some point...but for today I want to document the adventures of this past weekend.
First of all...we are the proud owners of a camper. Yes, we already had a camper, but it didn't comfortably fit our family of five and required installation of a fifth wheel hitch. Combine that with the pandemic, some extra hard family stuff, and Dan constantly scrolling Facebook Marketplace and wearing me down with night after night of "Hey Racheal! Come look at this one!"...and I finally caved.
Our maiden voyage was to Watkin's Mill - a Missouri state park an hour from our house. The rest of the weekend will be summarized in numbers:
Seven loads of laundry...and counting. The mud was inescapable.
Six kids. Because Dan and I are always up for a challenge, we decided to add my niece and nephews to our first weekend in the camper, equaling a total of six kids. Their parents were busy running a half marathon...I don't know who had the more challenging task. Ha!
(The only picture I have of them all together is blurry, of them watching a movie and eating popcorn.)
I have zero regrets about this and while of course there were some logistical challenges (six showers to keep six sets of clean clothes dry with only one bottle of shampoo) they were amazing kids and they had an absolute blast together.
Five meals to plan. I knew that getting meals together would be crazy with all of the kids, so I decided to be very easy on myself. Past versions of me would have scoffed at this processed food, easy meal plan. Current me is beaming with success.
- Friday dinner: take and bake pizzas and a veggie tray
- Saturday breakfast: sausage, scrambled eggs, sourdough toast (so much more to say about sourdough)
- Saturday lunch: sandwiches, chips, grapes, veggie tray
- Saturday dinner: chili (Dan made this at home on Thursday night, so we just warmed it up in the crock pot) and s'mores
- Sunday breakfast: same as Saturday, except I cooked because Dan took a brief camping intermission to go to church on Sunday for baptisms