Thursday, December 5, 2019

Thanksgiving and Beyond

(Warning: this post contains an unusually high number of selfies.)

(Honestly, is there a better day to wear fork earrings?)

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! So many things have happened since I last posted.

I took the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off work to clean my house, catch up on life, and make pies (including the crust!) because that is exactly what I wanted to do.

Then I picked up the girls to take them to meet up with my high school friends but had to turn around because Cora was telling the truth when she said she felt like she was going to puke.

All over the van. On the highway. Then Ina almost followed suit because of the smell. (You will notice a consistent trend here).

We went home, put Cora in the bath and Mira in front of the TV with Dan, and then headed back out to see my friends.

(picture by Ina)

Sarah was in town from North Carolina, and just like every other time I see any friends from high school, I was immediately brought back to the amazingness of 2002.

I woke up early on Thanksgiving to start the turkey and then headed to the gym for a fun workout.

I came home to Dan practically wrapping everything else up. He had peeled and boiled the potatoes, chopped the veggies for stuffing, and had a head start on the oyster casserole. He has reminded me several times since that he did all of the cooking for Thanksgiving. I did, however, interfere enough to somehow inadvertently change our meat thermometer to the Centigrade instead of Fahrenheit setting and successfully dried out the turkey before realizing my error. (Some scientist I am...)

(Dan's contraption to keep the lid on the turkey roaster...I have no idea why he is posing like that...)

We had a full house. The first round was my mom and Grandma Beverly, then my sister, brother-in-law and their three kids, then my dad and Grandpa Ed and Grandma June.

Then, when we finished our first plates, my brother's family came from my sister-in-law's family's house for seconds/dessert.

Fun was had by all. My sister's family ended up staying the night and the adults stayed up way too late playing games and the kids stayed up way too late playing with every single toy in our house.

Every single one.

The next morning Jessie and I left the husbands and kids at home to head to the gym for a day after Thanksgiving workout and then came home to blitz clean the house and pack for our little trip to Branson to celebrate Ina's birthday.

Ina chose a family trip instead of a birthday party and I have to say, we were all happy with that decision.

We stayed at Grand Country Inn, where shows,

pizza, mini golf,

and the water park are included in the room price.

The room had a "club house" with bunk bed and a TV, so naturally 2/3 kids ended up in our full bed each morning.

We ate most of our meals from the random food I packed (ramen FTW)

but we did venture out for a really delicious Mexican meal, window shopping, and Christmas light gazing at The Landing.

We swam one last time on Sunday morning before packing up and driving the three hours home. With chlorine still in our hair, we unloaded the van and then loaded it back again with stuff for the girls to stay the night at Grandma Frankie's and stuff for Dan and I to go to a 30 degree Chiefs game.

In the 30 minutes we were home we started our Advent calendar my aunt and cousin sent the girls and talked to Holland and Brooke who brought us coffee AND a Chiefs beanie.

Add that to the Chiefs tickets another cousin gave us and I was a very very spoiled girl.

The Chiefs completed my perfect evening with a great win leaving Dan and I wondering why we didn't have season tickets anymore.

On Monday I woke up and put up all of our Christmas decorations and then drove to Grandma Frankie's to pick up the birthday girl and her sisters.

We celebrated Ina's actual birthday with some ice cream and opening a few presents.

I woke up on Tuesday morning ready to head back to real life and then was hit with a brutal but fleeting GI bug that lasted about 8 horrible hours. Cora took care of me.

So on Wednesday I was back to real life and checked off all of my work boxes, just in time for our small group cookie exchange.

This weekend is the girls' dance recital, so I am typing this post between watching them practice and listening to all of the Christmas songs is getting me in the spirit. This is such a precious time, I hope you are enjoying it!

I will see you next week with lots of tutus and glitter! Have a good end to your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...