Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Halloween Plays and Turkey Legs

Monday started with a birthday workout, which are always so fun at our gym. Well, really, everything is fun at our gym. I almost forget that I am working out.

Also fun (maybe my favorite thing on earth):  Liz's carrot cake topped with candied pecans.

After the work thing I picked Ina up from school and Cora up from Granny's and then changed them into some costumes in the car and took them to dance class.

Cora dancing in her witch outfit while being completely mesmerized by her costumed reflection in the mirror was so stinking adorable. Ina was not happy with the way her butterfly wings were hanging on her, but suffered through.

After dance we scrambled in the van and raced to Ina's school, where their Trunk or Treat event was just wrapping up. I felt bad that we missed it, but they mostly seemed happy to say trick or treat!, receive a few pieces of candy, and see a few scary costumes.

Tuesday their dance school put on a little Halloween play called, The Missing Cape. Ina and Cora's song class sang and danced to Rockin' Robin while wearing crow hats and tail feathers.

I walked in having zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised to see them both sing and dance their little hearts out on stage. Of course Ina's hat fell off and Cora somehow ended up behind girls much taller than her, but they both had a blast. I sincerely enjoyed the entire 30 minutes and am strongly resisting the urge to sign Ina up for drama class.

Wednesday was Halloween. As soon as Ina walked in the door from school I quickly painted her face and  helped the other girls get dressed.

Poor Cora wanted her face painted so bad, even though her costume didn't really require paint. Out of hurried desperation I painted a pumpkin on her face and then quickly had to wipe it off when Cora decided that "Violet doesn't have a pumpkin on her face."

Mira was just happy to have a warm and snuggly costume that featured her adorable belly.

We hit up a few houses in our neighborhood first and then made the drive to Jessie's house for full block trick or treating. Jessie, Uncle John, Dan, and I followed the kids around for an hour or so, making sure they said thank you and didn't get hit by a vehicle.

The weather was perfect. The hot chocolate (spiked with rumchata) in my yeti was warm and comforting. Seeing the girls run from house to house with their cousins made my heart soar.

After their candy buckets were too heavy to carry we made our way back to Jessie's house for cheeseburger soup and pajamas.

Our calendar was free on Thursday, so as soon as I picked up the girls from school/Granny's we went to visit Grandma June and Papa Ed at their assisted living facility.

They both seemed really good and we had a very nice visit. We tried to stay with them while they were eating dinner, but left in a blaze of glory when Mira attempted to pull the table cloth out from under an unsuspecting patron's plate of spaghetti. Pro tip - when you need to entertain three children and you think you have packed enough snacks for an one hour outing, you haven't. Pack more.

Friday Dan visited me at work for a little lunch date and we hunkered down with pizza and wings for dinner while watching The Incredibles 2.

While I worked on Saturday morning Dan took the girls to a basketball clinic the high school girls team puts on. Ina was super nervous to leave, but came back home excited with some fun stories to share. The coach even let Cora go out and play for a little bit. I love watching the girls dance and swim, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want them to play basketball one day. One day.

That night I took Ina and Cora to see our high school's production of Little Shop of Horrors. I was blown away by the talent these high schoolers had and also excited to see both Ina and Cora sit (mostly) still through a 2.5 hour musical, follow the story line, and enjoy the songs. I see many nights on Broadway in our future.

Sunday was mostly spent preparing for our small group dinner. We made the last minute decision to have a Thanksgiving feast after our normal study. Dan smoked a turkey and roasted another one. We made gravy, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole. Everyone else filled in the sides.

Every corner of our main level was full of people. I didn't do the best job of not stressing out beforehand (I think mostly because the girls were all in needy moods), but thoroughly enjoyed everyone once they were in our house and had a plate of food in their hands.

And just like that another Halloween week is over and we are off to the races towards the holidays.

My heart and my calendar runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...