So, I turn 30 tomorrow.
I hope to celebrate by crossing a triathlon finish line. I also hope that I won’t lose any of my appendages to frostbite because it is going to be C-O-L-D.
Last night when I was driving Ina home from her grandparents’ house the song, My Next 30 Years popped in my head.
I know, so cheesy, right?
I started thinking about what I wanted the next 30 years of my life to look like. Thinking about my age doubling in number and the person I would be as a result of those extra years was weird. Creepy. Blurry.
I know that what I do every year until then will form that 60-year-old-Racheal. To some extent, my actions determine my destiny. What do I want my destiny to be? Pretty heavy question. So much pressure.
One of my favorite sayings is, “If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.” I know that I could be way off, but here are 30 things I want to do in the next 30 years to form that 60-year-old-Racheal that I sort of met last night.
- Have another child. Hopefully this will happen closer to 30 than 60.
- Read the entire bible in chronological order. Then read it again. And again. And again.
- Travel to Greece, Italy, and South Africa.
- Write a book. Or a short story. Or a children’s book.
- Start a weekly family dinner at my house. Get a bigger table.
- Find a way to introduce others to good food and good exercise
- Become completely debt free and not acquire more debt.
- Run a marathon.
- Speak in front of a large group of people about something I am both knowledgable and passionate about.
- Help bring something that Dan invented in his head to life.
- Build my career, but don’t let it define me.
- Complete a half iron-man <—crazy talk.
- Create a completely welcoming, hotel-like guest room. (This may actually take 30 years.)
- Plant something on my grandparents’ farm for large-scale harvesting. I am thinking peaches.
- Get chickens. Eat their eggs.
- Start a large scale ministry or mission with my church.
- Become comfortable sharing my faith with others and introducing them to Jesus.
- See the Chiefs go to the Super Bowl or the Royals go to the World Series. Come on KC, give me something here.
- Open a weekend bed and breakfast/antique shop with Dan.
- Drive across the US from ocean to ocean. Stop a lot.
- Build a house, let Dan design everything, except for the kitchen. That is mine.
- Create recipes. Share them.
- Get a nice camera and learn how to take nice-camera pictures.
- Have grandchildren. (hopefully?)
- Charter a sail boat in the Caribbean.
- Sell something at a farmer’s market.
- Take advantage of my children and grandchildren’s education. (Re)Learn with them.
- Retire or at least go part time to play with grandchildren
- Work on a drug that cures cancer (a girl can dream, right?)
- Get a cookie jar. Keep it full.
I think I am going to like 60-year-old-Racheal.
Past birthday posts: