Did you know that popcorn can be popped on the stove?
You probably did know that, but I didn’t. I thought either a microwave or some type of fancy popping contraption were required.
I was going to order said contraption, but I remembered I need another kitchen gadget like I need a hole in my head, so I stopped myself.
When I discovered this I started asking people if they knew, and my response was usually, “um, yes, of course I knew,” or, “duh."
Well, I didn’t know, and maybe my first 29 years have failed me, but I am not going to live in the dark any longer. So, during my trip to Sprouts last week, I picked up some coconut oil and popping corn in the bulk bins (less than $2 per pound).
Here is what I did (adapted from Simply Recipes):
Ingredients: 1 T coconut oil; 1/4 C popping corn; 1-2 T sugar; 1/2 t salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on medium-high heat in a good sized pot with a lid
- Add 3 kernels and cover
- Once the 3 kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn in a single layer, cover, and remove from heat for 30 seconds
- Return pan to heat. As the popcorn is popping slide pan back and forth over burner to prevent sticking. Once there is 2-3 seconds without popping, remove from heat.
- Pour popcorn into bowl and shake with sugar and salt.
- Watch Downton Abby while consuming popcorn
Try at your own risk. Having the ability to make this deliciousness in less than 3 minutes every night is going to be VERY dangerous.
- I didn’t run yesterday because my legs were sore from the race. Well, my legs are more sore today, so that excuse isn’t going to work much longer.
- Ina has a sense of humor at such a young age.
-Breakfast yesterday was toasted life changing bread with honey goat cheese and blackberries
- My friend / neighbor Kim asked me if I wanted to run a marathon in October. MARATHON!?!?!? I mostly do not want to, but, I kind of want to.
Have a good day!