Last night, as I was plopping some Greek yogurt into my bowl of chili, I was thinking about how much I love the stuff and how versatile it is.
I have eaten the same foods for many years, and it is rare that I find something new to add to my usual diet rotation. However, the day that I discovered the magic that is Greek yogurt my world was officially rocked. Since then, it has been a refrigerator staple.
I always buy the big cartons of plain 0% fat. My favorite brands in this order are Fage, Chobani, and Trader Joe's.
I buy plain because it is like a blank canvas that I can dress up with any flavor I choose.
(Ina loves Greek yogurt too!)
Ways to make it sweet:
- Add fruit and cereal or granola and a little bit of jam or honey to make a parfait.
- I love it in my overnight oats - my current favorite breakfast. (I just add equal parts of oats, yogurt, and milk - usually 1/2 C of each- 1 tbs of chia seeds - optional but awesome - and then whatever add ins I want - peanut butter, coconut, nuts, chocolate chips, fruit, the options are endless. Stick in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and voila.
- Add it to some frozen bananas, milk and protein powder to make a great smoothie
- Mix in some sugar free pudding mix
- Bake with it
Ways to make it savory:
- I use it in place of sour cream - like in my chili
- Make veggie dips
- Use as the base in chicken, tuna, or egg salad
- Make salad dressings
I am sure that is just the tip of the Greek yogurt iceberg.
Unfortunately, yesterday's lunch didn't include Greek yogurt - but I plan to make a ranch based greek yogurt salad dressing soon.
Turkey and ranch salad with rye.
I ran 2.5 miles yesterday while listening / singing to Disney's Pandora station. Pure motivation.
Thought for the day