Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Eating Clean(er)

Dan and I often have talks about how we want to raise our children.  We have talked about this for years, but obviously the topic is a little more important now.  One thing that was and is important to both of us is the concept of eating healthy.  It was easy for us to say that we didn't want our children to only eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs because we didn't have a 2 year old in front of us refusing to eat broccoli.  Now we will need to form a strategy to put that plan into action.  

Unfortunately, I am not starting out on a very good foot.  

I used to pride myself in eating around 8 servings of fruits and veggies per day.  That was before I got pregnant.  Now, I am good to get in 3 or 4.  In the first trimester, nothing that resembled a vegetable sounded edible, but that phase is over and I haven't kicked the habit. 

I also have been eating more junk food, because it sounds good and it is easy to use pregnancy as an excuse.  The fact is that junk food has always sounded good.  Duh. 

The other day I was thinking:

If I wouldn't want my daughter to eat this way, why am I eating this way with her growing inside of me?

So I have decided to clean up my eating.  I am not going to go crazy, and of course I will allow myself some treats (as I would my daughter).  My goal is 80% clean.  That is, 80% fruits, veggies, dairy, whole grains, protein, etc.  I think that is reasonable.  The other 20% will be ice cream.

What better day to start than Monday?  I would count yesterday as a success.

Breakfast was a yogurt parfait with bran flakes, plain Greek yogurt, and a sliced peach I bought from Mr. Sombrero.  

DSCN1130

For lunch I had a kale salad (kale + parmesan cheese + 2 tsp olive oil + 2 tsp of lemon juice) and cottage cheese and pineapple.  

DSCN1133

I snacked on some watermelon when I got home from work.  


DSCN1135

Dinner was a Trader Joe's success story that came together in less than 15 minutes.

DSCN1137

If you like goat cheese you will love this ravioli.  The chicken sausage was also very tasty.  Combine with broccoli and you have yourself a winning dinner. 

DSCN1139

Then, of course, I had some Blue Bell ice cream for dessert while watching the season finale of The Newsroom.  Why oh why did it have to end?   I am considering canceling my HBO subscription out of protest.

Thought for the day

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...