So, when our friends Aubrey and Eric asked us to go to the buffet at Ameristar last night, I was a little nervous. I didn't want to ruin this good thing I had going this week.
But, I couldn't pass up a night with great company, and, let's be honest, I never say no to going to the casino.
Still, a girl has to have a plan in order survive all of those crazy food options. Here's my strategy for getting my money's worth without getting my money's worth at the buffet:
- Burn calories to eat calories. I know running like crazy just to eat like crazy a few hours later doesn't really make sense, and, if done everyday, is not healthy. But, I had to run 9 miles this week anyways, so why not make it on the buffet-day? Yesterday I ran 9 miles in 1 hour and 30 minutes (18 points) while watching Midnight in Paris. The movie was meh, but it did give me a good review of literature. I also thought about my high school trip to Paris and each new landmark brought back a great memory from the trip. On the other hand, the run just about killed me. I don't know how I am going to run that plus 4 more miles in less than 2 months. Yikes.
- Load up on fruits and veggies. I try to do this with every meal. So, I tried to make at least 1/2 of my plate veggies.
|Plate 1: Salad (6) , shrimp (3) horseradish cream sauce (2)|
- Eat seafood. Seafood is expensive and healthy, so it has more bang for your buck. Last night, I ate my weight in shrimp. With horseradish cream sauce. Yum.
|Plate 2: Antipasto salad (3) ; more shrimp (5), grilled veggies (2)|
- Enjoy the company. Last night was great catching up with Eric and Aubrey. Although we had to wait in line so long that by the time we got to table, the first half of dinner was spent trying to stuff our mouths with food and the second half was spent in uncomfortable fullness. Most importantly, if you are trying to eat healthier, don't blab on about it. Right when I sat down I mentioned to Dan that I shouldn't had gotten the horseradish cream sauce and he looked at me and said, " I don't want to hear it." And he was right. I shouldn't ruin everyone else's dinner with my decisions.
- Let yourself have a treat! You have to give yourself a break every once in a while!
|Plate 3: Ice cream with chocolate sauce and coconut (12)|
1/2 slice of sugar free chocolate pie (6)
Dan got his money's worth :)
After dinner, Dan went to the car to take a nap (dull) and Aubrey and I headed to the Pai Gow table. After a few hours, I won the exact cost of our dinner! All in all, last night was a wash on the Kendrick budget.
Other eats from yesterday:
|Pre-run snack (5)|
|Post-run breakfast: almond butter banana sandwich (10)|
|Lunch: salad with taco meat (7)|
|Snack on the drive home (nada)|
Thought for the day:
Daily points (33) + running points (18) - eating points (64) = -23
Obviously, I had to dip into my weekly points that I have banked from running. I still have 56 left for the weekend. Hmmm...wine and cheese tonight?